Edwin Markham

Outwitted by Edwin Markham
He drew a circle that shut me out -
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout,
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him in!

jueves, 2 de agosto de 2012

Music of Hope from Paraguay

You will remember that a few weeks ago I asked for prayers for Paraguay after the sudden removal of the President in what was, essentially, a parliamentary coup.  In the the weeks that have followed, the news I have received from Paraguay continues to be quite disturbing.  The comparison that comes to mind is that of the movie "Avatar".  A Canadian company has found and laid claim to the largest titanium deposit in the world and the stage is set for the exploitation of land and people.  It isn't by chance that the very first country to recognize the legitimacy of new president of Paraguay was Canada.

I have a deep admiration for my dear friends in Paraguay, who struggle everyday to bring about justice, democracy and the respect for human rights.  One young woman, a former Sunday School Student of mine, is the coordinator of a national project to bring the teamwork, discipline, and hope of music to the poorest children of Paraguay, most of them from remote rural areas and many from indigenous communities.  Paraguay is probably the most musical country I have lived in, an inheritance that comes from their Guaraní ancestors. The harp is Paraguay's most loved and unique instrument.  To celebrate the 10th anniversary of this project, my friend organized an orchestra of 400 children playing their harps together.  I wept as I watched the video, which speaks louder than words ever could of the the change that we all dream of for Paraguay.  May you, too, also enjoy "Where there is music, history changes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIk9RnkxLQ

Shalom
Elena

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario