Edwin Markham

Outwitted by Edwin Markham
He drew a circle that shut me out -
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout,
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him in!

sábado, 6 de enero de 2024

 

Sept 6 2011

Elena Huegel

 

Sitting under a tree in a yellow kayak

Stray drops from the steady drizzle

Reach me under the canopy of leaves.

 

Across the pond, millions of circles flash

Winking green mirrors

Reflections broken of the gathered trees and

Overcast sky.

 

I wait

For the rain to stop.

As others have waited before me

Others in birch bark canoes

Exploring these whispering shores for food

Detained in their homeward

Trek by the fall showers bringing down

The temperature and the leaves.

 

And I wait.

For the rain to stop

As others have waited before me.

The birds chirping from their nests

The deer curling snug in a tree nook

The squirrels and chipmunk hiding with stores

But not the beaver in his underworld

Unperturbed by water falling from the sky.

 

It is a green gray world

Not waiting

Just being this moment

No need for patience, no though of later

Simply living, breathing

As long as the rain lasts.

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario